HVAC Safety Tips: Carbon Monoxide Leaks at Work

These days HVAC systems are installed everywhere, whether it be your house or your workplace. When it comes to working and you own someplace, you have responsibilities of all your employees. You cannot afford to make them breathe in hazardous indoor air. The most alarming thing about your HVAC system is the release of Carbon Monoxide gas due to the combustion process. If there is leakage of  poisonous gas, it can lead to a big disaster.

It is very important to keep a check on this and keep it enclosed within the outlet pipe without harming anyone. What are the safety norms that you can follow to avoid such situations? In case you are the employee, share this with your employer to ensure a healthy environment at work!

  • Timely Maintenance is the key: The key to avoiding this sort of situation is regular maintenance. If you haven’t got your HVAC system serviced in a while, and are using it in full capacity, you should ask for professional maintenance. Degree Air Conditioning & Heating HVAC repair in Mesa AZ, takes care of everything related to your HVAC but in that inspection procedure—safety tops the list. Regular check-up of your system can save many lives.
  • A visual tour through Heat Exchanger: To know if there’s any kind of fault from where Carbon Monoxide can escape, it is very essential to get the heat exchanger checked. In maximum cases, Carbon Monoxide makes a way out from the heat exchanger. Ask your HVAC professional to go through it thoroughly to avoid any mishappening.
  • Cleanliness can you keep safe: Flue—the outlet that takes Carbon Monoxide out of your reach and vents, which deliver you warm or cold air. It is important to make sure that there is no composition of debris around vents and flue pipe which can lead to blockage. A blockage will eventually trap the Carbon Monoxide in your workspace, resulting in non-breathable poisonous air. This can be avoided by keeping vents clean to allow unobstructed flow of air.
  • Installation of Carbon Monoxide Detectors: Usage of Carbon Monoxide detectors across your workplace will alert you if there’s any type of leakage of toxic gases. It is an add-on to your safety but can’t be considered a substitute for maintenance. Detectors are just another layer to ensure protection.
  • What if Carbon Monoxide is detected? In no time the area should be vacant; all the possible ventilation points such as the doors and windows should be open. If someone complains about any signs of uneasiness, rush them to a nearby hospital. Signs of uneasiness that you should watch out for:
  1. Nausea
  2. Headache
  3. Fatigue
  4. Chest pain

Carbon Monoxide is a deadly gas. It should not be taken lightly; it chokes you to death silently. It is essential to take necessary precautions and be careful in the workplace.  Degree Air Conditioning & Heating HVAC repair in Mesa, AZ, not only provides repairing services but also cross-checks safety points. Call us now at 480-983-3012.