Basic Guide To AFUE

Furnaces and heating units are a part of every household. But how much do you know about them? Just like air conditioners have SEER ratings, heating units and furnaces have AFUE ratings. Go through this quick and easy-to-understand guide about AFUE ratings and everything you need to know about furnaces.

What is AFUE?

AFUE stands for Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency. The AFUE rating measures what percentage of fuel is converted into energy and what percentage is wasted. This rating also determines the efficiency of your furnace and can further define your electricity bills.One must consult a furnace repair in Mesa, AZ service provider for further guidance.

What does the AFUE rating stand for?

Unlike SEER ratings with arbitrary values (like SEER-14, SEER-16, etc.), the AFUE rating is easy to read and understand. The AFUE rating is listed as a percentage of fuel converted. For example, if the furnace has an AFUE rating of 80, it means that 80% of the fuel is converted to energy for your home. The remaining percentage (20%) is lost or wasted.

The range of AFUE Rating is 30-100, with 100% being the most efficient and 30 being the least. Anything below 30 isn’t worth investing money in.

What is a good rating?

While a higher AFUE rating means greater efficiency, it isn’t practically possible to get a machine with 100% efficiency. The most standard AFUE rating is 78%. If you’re looking to buy a high-efficiency furnace, you should look for one that has an AFUE rating between 90 and 95%. However, if you’re looking for a mid-range efficiency, choose a furnace with an AFUE rating between 80-85%.

How does this affect your furnace repairs?

Furnaces can have a variety of fuels. Furnaces usually use one of the following as a source of energy:

  • Natural Gas
  • Electricity
  • Heating Oil
  • Propane
  • Wood

The type of fuel used in the furnace will also define the AFUE rating. For example, a mid-efficiency heating oil furnace can have only an 83% AFUE rating, while that of firewood can be 75-90%. And the type of fuel will also define how often you require repair or maintenance service. 

Natural Gas, Heating Oil, and Propane furnaces require immediate services or repairs if anything is broken. This is because a broken furnace is a fire hazard and can cause problems. Electric furnaces and wood furnaces also require regular servicing, and you should not ignore their problems and contact a  furnace repair in Mesa, AZ as soon as possible.

How much will this affect your bills?

The most common misconception about SEER and AFUE ratings is that these can be used to compare the cost of running and repairing these units directly. AFUE ratings don’t have much effect on the cost of operation (or your final electricity bills); rather, they are a means of comparing two furnaces of the same type of cost. You cannot use it to compare a propane furnace to an electric furnace.

How do you use this to repair your furnace?

A furnace with a good AFUE rating can help you gain points with the right technician. Seeking a professional opinion beforehand is an excellent way to avoid paying extra in replacements. Degree Air Conditioning & Heating is a service that provides free furnace consultation as well as furnace repair in Mesa, AZ. They’re a premier service with affordable, high-quality furnace solutions.